Career And Education
TORONTO, May 4, 2011 --- Life as a teenager or young adult isn’t easy. But for youth who live on the street, it can be even more difficult: they often experience significant mental health issues, with suicide being the leading cause of death. Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) which has been found to be effective in helping people manage their emotions, is one approach that may help street youth navigate a successful transition to adulthood, said Elizabeth McCay, Research Chair in Urban Health in the Ryerson University Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing.
It’s officially the “Year of the Rabbit” on the Chinese calendar. But 2011 might be better known as the “Year of the Tiger Mother.” In early January, Yale law professor Amy Chua published a critique of coddling Western-style parenting in The Wall Street Journal, “Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior.” The essay, summarizing her book “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” – in which she details, among other things, how she raised her daughters in the “traditional Chinese” way, with strict discipline and an emphasis on academic success and music lessons above all else, prohibiting TV, computer games, play dates and sleepovers – set off a media maelstrom.
A new study from the University of Iowa confirms that workers who feel empowered by their employers have higher morale and are more productive, regardless of their industry, job or even culture. "Empowerment is an effective approach for improving employee attitudes and work behaviors in a broad range of industries, occupations and geographic regions," said lead researcher Scott Seibert, professor of management and organizations in the Tippie College of Business.
- Digital Divide: Civil Rights Groups Set Benchmarks to Correct "Vast Disparities in Access" to Broadband
- New Hanover County Schools Announces Elementary Science Olympiad Winners
- Women's Studies Graduates Learn About Pay Equity
- NCCU Student Success Symposium
- Negative Classroom Environment Adversely Affects Children's Mental Health
- Students Gather for 41ST ANNUAL YOUTH LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
- NBPTS to Launch Webcast Releasing "Student Learning, Student Achievement" Report
- New Hanover County Middle School Students: Outshine at Regional MATHCOUNTS Competition
- Dr. Pamela Baldwin Named Principal of Hoggard High School